An Egg is Quiet

My little preschoolers made a BEAUTIFUL display for our classroom. We've been learning all about animals that lay eggs as part of our Springtime unit, and I couldn't wait to share one of my ALL-TIME favorite books with the kiddos!! Enter An Egg is Quiet! (By Dianna Aston, with lovely illustrations by Sylvia Long). If you don't own this book, you are seriously missing out!!


I always start reading this book in a whisper voice and we talk about each page together. There is SO MUCH to look at and discover on the pages of this book. I can't say enough awesome things about it. The kids always demand a second (third, fourth, fifth) reading! And I always say yes because, really, who says NO to a classroom full of preschoolers asking for more reading!? 


Anyway- the book is truly beautiful and the text is informative and fun. There's a LOT of science in here from life cycles, to fossils, to camoflauge... Each picture of an egg is labeled with the animal that lays it, too. I seriously LOVE this book!!


Back to our classroom project. After we looked through this book several times, we talked about how eggs can look very different from each other, but they all have things in common (protect a baby animal, come from a mommy, etc.). Then I set up some art supplies around the room and gave each child 4 small pieces of paper. I told them to use each art center to decorate an entire piece. When they had finished, we traced an egg shape on the back and cut their paper (some kiddos needed teacher's help). At the very end, they got to decide which color of construction paper to mount their eggs to. And here's what we got...

Paint stamping with plastic easter eggs

Oil Pastels
Dot Markers
 
Scrapbook paper collage






The wall display turned out so cute! I love the way it brightens up our room for springtime!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment